Getting Started with Our Home INR Monitoring Program
Starting a Home INR Monitoring Program is simple – begin enrolling patients today!
Alere Physician Office Enrollment Process
1. Select Suitable Candidates
- Identify candidates based on suitability criteria.
2. Complete and Submit an Alere™ Home Monitoring Enrollment Form
- Alere Physician ICD-10 Form/Statement of Medical Necessity – Physician completes form, signs, and submits to Alere.
- Alere contacts patient to obtain enrollment information, including copies of insurance cards.
3. Alere Verifies Coverage
- Alere will contact the patient’s insurance provider to determine coverage and then will review any co-payment details with the patient.
4. Patient Completes Face-2-Face® training
- Patient will be trained using Face-2-Face® training either in the clinic or home setting by our network of qualified trainers.
Ongoing Home INR Monitoring Process
Alere™ Home INR Monitoring Frequently Asked Questions
Alere is the leader in home monitoring services and related products. As an Independent Diagnostic Testing Facility (IDTF), we have nearly 20 years of experience in home anticoagulation monitoring services and related products. Alere has helped over 50,000 physicians provide Home INR Monitoring services to manage over 42 million test results from over 200,000 patients. Alere has assembled an industry leading service program that includes insurance coverage determination, proprietary training methods, patient education, clinical outcomes reporting and data management solutions.
Alere Home Monitoring improves outcomes by providing valuable, innovative, industry-leading disease and health state monitoring programs for clinicians and their patients experiencing life altering health conditions.
Clinical evidence supports better outcomes with more frequent testing at home. Home INR Monitoring gives patients better control over their health in several ways:
- Weekly self-testing has demonstrated time in target range (TTR) > 70% in and outside clinical trials1, 2
- You determine alert INR levels to manage your patient and practice risk more closely than traditional care models.
- Warfarin better suits many patients’ lifestyles as it allows them to test in accordance to the drug’s half-life, reduces medical complications, and gives patients peace of mind about their INR levels between their routine visits to your practice.
- Medicare and most health plans recognize the advantages of patient self-testing and offer reimbursement for up to and including weekly INR testing.
Alere provides courtesy reminder calls if patient’s results were not received within the timeline prescribed by you. If a patient misses one test, an automated reminder call is sent. If Alere still has not received results after two weeks, a letter, call and fax to the physician are sent. We will contact them again over the next several weeks and after 45 days, we notify the physician and patient that they may be removed from the service if we have not received results.
The patient can be trained by an accredited trainer using our Face-2-Face® training program in the clinic or home setting. During the training appointment, patients will learn how to operate the INR monitor, perform a test, and report their INR test results. Patients will actively participate in the training session and will not graduate training until they have demonstrated full competence in testing on their own or with the help of a caregiver.
No. A doctor must prescribe the service and INR monitor in order for the patient to participate in the Home INR Monitoring Program. Patients must also be taking warfarin for at least 90 days (or 3 months) as required by CMS.
We encourage patients to call us as soon as they experience any difficulty with the INR monitor or steps of testing. Our Patient Outreach department is staffed by caring representatives whose primary function is to provide support and assistance to patients. If the device is not working properly, our staff will work with the patient and device manufacturer to resolve any issue.
Patients will request supplies either online or by phone when reporting your test results. Replacement supplies are shipped directly to the patient.
Alere Home Monitoring, Inc. offers patients several ways to report their INR test results. All options offer flexibility, reliability, convenience, and the ability to order additional testing supplies:
- App – Download the CoagClinic® app from the app store.
- Secure Website – Using our secure website, www.MyCoagResults.com, allows patients to easily manage their care anytime with an internet connection.
- Automated Phone System – Report results securely through our automated toll-free number anytime with no waiting.
Our knowledgeable customer support team is always available during business hours to provide personalized support to patients.
If your patients report directly into our secure database management system, we can provide you those test results in a variety of ways to meet your needs of managing your patients:
- Alert you via fax only when a patient is out of range.
- Send you all patient test results on a schedule you choose.
Provide real-time access to test results via Alere CoagClinic® data management application or our new CoagClinic Lite Portal.
Alere is committed to supporting patient education efforts toward improving the quality of care and safety for warfarin patients. WellLife, an exclusive program by Alere, is dedicated to informing people on warfarin how to live healthier, safer lives. WellLife offers you the tools to empower your patients to live a healthier life on warfarin. Patients receive quarterly newsletters, information included in their testing supplies, community educational events, and articles from our PTINR.com® website.
We also offer WellLife patient education documents on PTINR.com that provide you with over two dozen 1-page electronic patient education handouts. The handouts educate your new, intermediate and most advanced warfarin users on practical topics (fall prevention, vitamin K, and avoiding drug interactions) while enabling you to document the delivery of patient education.
To meet today’s patient education standards, PTINR.com offers:
- Information About Warfarin
- Drug Interaction Information
- Helpful INR Information & Tips
- Health Conditions
- Vitamin K Finder – the largest comprehensive list of vitamin K amounts in more than 5,000 foods and beverages
- Food and Healthy Recipes with Café PTINR®
- Information about Home INR Monitoring
- Heneghan C, et al. Self-monitoring of oral anticoagulation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2006; 367:404-11.
- Ansell, J. March 2012. Patient Self-Testing: Real-World Experience Within a Comprehensive Support Service Represents a New Standard of Care, Attaining High Quality Anticoagulation Control. Poster presented at: American College of Cardiology.
Discover the benefits of the Alere™ Home Monitoring Service Program
Our industry leading program helps healthcare professionals provide the highest quality anticoagulation management.
Submit a prescription today, or call 1.866.408.1205.